In this blog post, you will see my complete 3 weeks South Africa spending breakdown.
Karen and myself split the cost of our trip to South Africa. If it looks like most of the expenses are transportation and accommodation related, it’s because Karen probably paid for food and I paid for gas.
3 weeks South Africa spending breakdown
- Pay phone – $0.1 CAD (1 Rand)
- Restaurant – $19.90 CAD (199 Rands)
- Groceries – $12.60 CAD (126 Rands)
- Shoestring Airport Lodge Hostel 4 Night Stay – $80 CAD (800 Rands)
- Phone plan and universal adapter – $67 CAD (670 Rands)
- First car rental – $118.30 CAD (1183 Rands)
- Toll fee – $12.6 CAD (126 Rands)
- Gas – $321.01 CAD (3210.93 Rands)
- Fast food – $11.4 CAD (114 Rands)
- Intercape bus – $126 CAD (1260 Rands)
- Car attendant tip – $2 CAD (20 Rands)
- Phone plan 60 minutes extension – $11 CAD (110 Rands)
- Cradle of Humankind – $19 CAD (190 Rands)
- Lunch in Cradle of Humankind – $8.22 CAD (82.2 Rands)
- Groceries – $50.7 CAD (507 Rands)
- Laundry mat – $5.50 CAD (55 Rands)
- Amphitheatre Backpackers 3 night stay + Tour of Lesotho – $123 CAD (1230 Rands)
- Happy Hippo Backpackers 1 night stay – $18 CAD (180 Rands)
- Sugarloaf Backpackers – $15 CAD (150 Rands)
- Jeffreys Bay Cristal Cove Hostel – $54 CAD (540 Rands)
- Great White Shark Backpackers hostel 2 night stay – $100 CAD (1000 Rands)
- Sea sickness pills – $6.06 CAD (60.6 Rands)
- The Backpack Hostel in Cape Town 2 night stay – $62 CAD (620 Rands)
- Table Mountain cable car – $25.5 CAD (255 Rands)
- Japanese food – $10 CAD (100 Rands)
- Haircut – $11 CAD (110 Rands)
- Towel rental – $4 CAD (40 Rands)
- Money exchange fee from Rand to USD – $1.1 CAD (11 Rand)
- Money given to Karen – $5 CAD (50 Rands)
- Swaziland border car fee – $5 CAD (50 Rands)
- Snacks in Swaziland – $1.5 CAD (15 Rands)
- Hertz car rental – $549.67 CAD (5,490.94 Rands)
- Great White Shark Cage Diving – $110 CAD (1,110 Rands)
- Air Egypt Flight from Cairo to Johannesburg – $85.50 CAD (855 Rands)
Total South Africa Spending: $1,966.16 CAD (19,671.60 Rands)
Total South Africa Spending with Flight Included: $2,051.66 CAD (20,516.60 Rands)
Average South Africa spending: $93.63 CAD (936.74 Rands)
Average South Africa spending with flight included: $97.70 CAD (976.98 Rands)
Frequent Flyer Miles spent:
- Karen spent 65,000 Aeroplan miles to fly both her and myself from Cairo, Egypt to Johannesburg. We used her miles for this segment because she was short on miles to fly home if we were to fly to Asia after South Africa. I ended up redeeming my miles to fly the both of us from South Africa to Brunei for 90,000 miles saving Karen 25,000 miles in the process.
South Africa is the best example of a place I travelled to where I didn’t have any buyers remorse. Well that’s not true, I did get ripped off when I purchased the universal adapter in the Johannesburg Airport. I paid 300 Rands for it when I could have bought it in other stores for between 100-150 Rands. Besides the universal adapter, I was happy with my other purchases and expenses. I was especially happy with renting with Hertz because they never gave me any trouble when I returned the car.
Overall, I did spend more than I budgeted for in South Africa. But my South Africa spending was well justified because my trip to this country is so far, the highlight of my one year trip around the world.
Subscribe to Travel and Live Free’s email list to get the latest blog post and updates!
Like me at Facebook to get the latest updates on my journey around the world. Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel to watch the latest video of my travels
1 thought on “My Complete 3 Weeks South Africa Spending Breakdown”
Pingback: My Complete Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia Spending Breakdown - Travel and Live Free