In this blog post, you’ll learn what a three weeks South Africa road trip itinerary looks like. The only way to truly experience South Africa is by doing a road trip. I’m talking about a big road trip that goes from Johannesburg to Cape Town or vice versa. Why do a road trip instead of taking the Baz Bus (South Africa’s hop on hop off bus for backpackers)?
Because you want the freedom of movement to drive and go wherever you want whenever you want. Riding the bus is also uncomfortable compared to being a car.
Three weeks South Africa road trip itinerary and map
This is the three weeks South Africa road trip itinerary looks like:
Johannesburg, Kruger National Park and, Swaziland Segment
- 3 days, 2 nights in Johannesburg
- 3 days, 2 nights in Kruger National Park
- Day trip to Swaziland before driving back to Johannesburg
(I then went to Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe Bridge and, Namibia for about a week then I flew back to Johannesburg.)
Johannesburg, Cradle of Humankind Segment
- 2 days in Johannesburg
- Day trip to the Cradle of Humankind and Sterkfontein
Drakensberg, Amphitheatre Backpackers, Lesotho Segment
- 4 days, 3 nights in Amphitheatre Backpackers in Drakensberg
- Day trip to a remote village in Lesotho
- 2 days, 1 night in Happy Hippo Backpackers in Durban
- Witnessed a city wide cycling event
Coffee Bay Segment
- 2 days, 1 night in Sugarloaf Backpackers
- 2 days of horrible drive in the Coffee Bay area
Garden Route, Jeffreys Bay Segment
- 4 days, 3 nights in Cristal Cove Guesthouse and Backpackers
- Played in the beach and relaxed in our awesome hostel
Gaansbaai, Shark Cage Diving
- 3 days, 2 nights in White Shark Backpackers
- Shark Cage diving with Supreme Sharks
Cape Town, Table Mountain, Bo-kaap
- 4 days, 3 nights in Cape Town
- Day trip to Table Mountain and Bo-kaap (colourful buildings)
The road trip was overall amazing and I look forward to coming back to South Africa one day to do another road trip following a different route. Next time, I will probably start in Cape Town and work my way to Johannesburg visiting areas that I missed and returning to places that I absolutely loved.
Subscribe to Travel and Live Free’s email list to get the latest blog post and updates!
Like me at Facebook to get the latest updates on my journey around the world. Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel to watch the latest video of my travels
3 thoughts on “Three Weeks South Africa Road Trip Itinerary”
The formatting of your posts looks really good! I’m very impressed with the progress you are making so far 🙂
Glad you like it!
Pingback: Read This Guide to Avoid Disaster Before Travelling to Sossusvlei Namibia