The AMEX Marriott Bonvoy credit card in Canada has a record high promotion at the moment. That means, the best time to get this credit card is right now. However, keep in mind that if you’ve had this card before you won’t get the points again. And that includes if you’ve had the AMEX Starwood credit card before. Apparently, they’re the same credit card family so you won’t get points again if you’ve had that credit card before.
VIDEO – AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Review (Canadian Perspective)
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy
The AMEX Marriott Bonvoy credit card in Canada has a promotion where you can earn 65,000 Marriott points after spending $3,000 in your first 3 months. The credit card also has an annual fee of $120. With the current promotion, you can get a statement credit of $120 if you spend $10,000 in your first year. This essentially cancels out the annual fee.
Other perks the AMEX Marriott Bonvoy comes with are:
- 5x Marriott points for every dollar spent at Marriott properties
- 2x Marriott points for every dollar spent everywhere else
- 10,000 Marriott points for every person you refer to this credit card
- 15 elite night credits towards elite status
- Automatic silver elite status
- 500,000 travel accident insurance for you, your spouse, and child under the age of 23 years old
- Up to $1000 baggage delay insurance for items purchased within 4 days when your baggage gets delayed
- Car rental theft and damage insurance
- Category 5 e-certificate for up to 35,000 Marriott points on your annual fee anniversary
In Canada, we don’t have that much options in terms of earning points to get a free night stay at a hotel. Besides the Best Western Rewards program, this is one of our few options available. Because the welcome bonus is 65,000 points, it’s definitely worth getting this credit card. You can offset the $120 annual fee if you spend $10,000 in one year which is a nice bonus.
The silver status is not very good, you definitely want to aim for Platinum Elite status to get free breakfast and suite upgrades. The 15 elite nights towards elite status is good if you can’t get American credit cards (30 elite nights if you pair the USA Personal and Business Marriott Bonvoy credit card).
And, the category 5 e-certificate justifies keeping this card despite the annual fee.
This credit card is a good card to get in Canada to earn 65,000 Marriott points. And, it’s a good permanent credit card to have if you are unable to get the American version of this credit card. 65,000 Marriott points is almost 2 night stay at a category 5 hotel. Alternatively, it’s 6 night stay for category 2 Marriott hotels which is very nice.