A lot of people get scared when they see the huge annual fee price tag of the American Express Personal Platinum card. However, thanks to a recent promotion, this card will actually earn you money! We’ll be reviewing this card in this article and cover some of its primary benefits.
VIDEO – American Express Personal Platinum Card Review and “Unboxing”
American Express Personal Platinum card benefits
Points (contains my referral link)
- Earn 60,000 AMEX points after spending $5000 within 6 months (3 months outside the current promotion) if you use a referral link. And you will earn an additional 10,000 AMEX points after 6 months of holding the card.
- Alternatively, you can use the AMEX main website link and earn 50,000 AMEX points after spending $3000 within 6 months (3 months outside the current promotion). And you will earn an additional 10,000 AMEX points after 6 months of holding the card.
- Earn 3 points for every $1 spent at eligible restaurants in Canada. Then, earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible travel purchases. Finally, earn 1 point for every $1 spent in all other purchases.
In my opinion, because of the current promotion that earns you $20 per 1000 points redeemed on your statement credit, I think most people who can hit the minimum spend requirements should look into getting this card. This promotion ends on July 20, 2020 so you do have time to make this happen. This is a great way to earn $700 during these times of financial hardship for a lot of people.
- Get a $200 travel credit that can be used towards a single travel booking of $200 through the AMEX travel portal or Platinum card travel service.
Typically, people book these travel credits online. You’re also allowed to refund when booking the $200 travel credit and the travel credit will stay in your account.
Lounge access and restaurant perks
- Get a priority pass card that allows you to access lounges at airports all around the world. This card lets you bring one friend for free with you.
- You’ll get access to the AMEX Centurion Lounge available worldwide. These lounges are typically nicer than the priority pass lounges.
- Get special reservations to top restaurants as a Platinum card member holder. You’ll also access special restaurants in airport lounges like in Sweden.
This is an amazing perk that I’ve used all over the world. It’s definitely a lifesaver being able to eat and get something to drink at the airport. Airport bottled water is super expensive and this is a great way to stay healthy while travelling. Many lounges like the Turkish lounge also let you sleep if you have a long layover.
Hotel elite status
- Hilton Honors Gold Status
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status
- Radisson Rewards Gold Status
- Shangri-La’s Golden Circle Jade Membership
The Hilton and Marriott are obvious benefits. Hilton’s Gold Status comes with free breakfast which is the best perk for any hotel elite status.
If you have a later flight when travelling, that 4pm checkout with Marriott is an amazing perk also. This lets you have a relaxing day before going to the airport.
The Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership also helps you jump start to Star Alliance Gold Status.
Car rental benefits
- Avis Preferred
- Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star
The benefits are pretty good; especially since Hertz lets your partner be a driver for free as well. The only thing I don’t like about Hertz is sometimes, they actually increase the price of the cost of the car rental when you are logged in. So even with the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status, you might be paying more.
Avis is more reliable when it comes to the price staying the same so I’d personally use Avis over Hertz when it comes to benefits. I do like both companies and have rented a car from both car rental companies.
Toronto Pearson benefits
- Get complimentary Valet Service at Terminals 1 & 3 to a 15% discount on parking rates.
- Expedite service through the Pearson Priority Security Lane in Terminal 1 and 3 during peak operating times.
If you live in Toronto, this is a great benefit.
- Trip cancellation
- Trip interruption
- Baggage delay
- Flight delay
- Lost or stolen baggage
- Out of province medical insurance
- Hotel burglary
- $500,000 travel accident insurance
- Standby travel medical concierge
- Car rental theft and damage insurance
To be honest, I don’t like AMEX insurance. I had a trip cancellation once and when I contacted the AMEX insurance company, they said they would take care of my problem. They never did. Instead, they sent me in a never-ending hoop-jumping session and they rejected my insurance claims. I personally don’t trust their insurance.
With that being said, you can save money on additional car insurance when you rent a car and pay with your AMEX Platinum which is a nice perk that I’ve used before.
I personally like the American Express Personal Platinum card. Despite the huge annual fee, there is a ton of way to offset it and actually make some money. I think right now is a good time to get it. We’ll probably never see the current promotion ever again.