The only way to truly experience South Africa is by doing a road trip. I’m talking about a big road trip that goes from Johannesburg to Cape Town or vice versa. Why do a road trip instead of taking the Baz Bus (South Africa’s hop on hop off bus for backpackers)?
Because you want freedom of movement to drive and go wherever you want whenever you want. Riding the bus is also uncomfortable compared to being a car.
Click here to see the entire road trip map.
This is the route that I took for a total of three weeks in South Africa:
Johannesburg, Kruger National Park and, Swaziland Segment
- 3 days, 2 nights in Johannesburg
- 3 days, 2 nights in Kruger National Park
- Day trip to Swaziland before driving back to Johannesburg
Johannesburg, Cradle of Humankind Segment
Drakensberg, Amphitheatre Backpackers, Lesotho Segment
- 2 days, 1 night in Happy Hippo Backpackers in Durban
- Witnessed a city wide cycling event
Coffee Bay Segment
- 2 days, 1 night in Sugarloaf Backpackers
- 2 days of horrible drive in the Coffee Bay area
Garden Route, Jeffreys Bay Segment
- 4 days, 3 nights in Cristal Cove Guesthouse and Backpackers
- Played in the beach and relaxed in our awesome hostel
Gaansbaai, Shark Cage Diving
- 3 days, 2 nights in White Shark Backpackers
- Shark Cage diving with Supreme Sharks
Cape Town, Table Mountain, Bo-kaap
- 4 days, 3 nights in Cape Town
- Day trip to Table Mountain and Bo-kaap (colourful buildings)
The road trip was overall amazing and I look forward to coming back to South Africa one day to do another road trip following a different route. Next time, I will probably start in Cape Town and work my way to Johannesburg visiting areas that I missed and returning to places that I absolutely loved.
If you enjoy reading the blog, subscribe to Travel and Live Free’s email list to get the latest blog post and updates!